Winter strategy? What on earth is she talking about, you may think. But I have a point, I promise.
The other day I was walking, and as I looked down, I saw what I’ve pictured above. And then it hit me. WINTER IS COMING!
As if this recurring event somehow snuck up on me without a warning and took me completely by surprise. Of course I know, that winter is coming – it’s only natural. But I’ve been so busy lately, that I’ve almost forgotten to notice, that summer is indeed over and soon, we’re facing scarves and winter coats. And that’s when I realised, that I hadn’t yet planned my strategy for the winter.
Over the past couple of years I’ve noticed, that I get highly affected by the weather and the lack of sunlight during winter. If I just let things take its course I can very easily end up very depressed until the sun comes out again – not a very desirable place to be.
If I on the other hand am conscious about the effects, I can create a strategy to not end up in winter depression mode. So to me, having a strategy is crucial. Here’s what I’ll try to do this year.
- Refuse to let the weather define my mood. I will declare that to myself every time I feel the effect of the rain in a negative way. (I know it sounds powerless, but I have experienced how powerful it is to even just tell myself, that I will not let it affect me.)
- Make sure to spend time outside every day and get as much of the natural sunlight as I can.
- Stay active and go on runs or to the gym (this will be hard one for sure!)
- Eat my vitamin C and D (C for the immune system and D for the lack of sunlight)
- Try my best to look for the small joys and see the beauty even in a gloomy day.
- Prioritise time with the people I love
- Prioritise time with God!